Learn how to make this wise pinecone graduation owl. Add the polymer clay cap to make this owl turn into a cute party favor gift for your graduate.
Here is what you will need:
Wise Pinecone Owl Instructions:
- To start, use pruning shears to cut one large pinecone for the body and two small pinecones for the eyes.
- Now, glue the eyes into place.
- Cut the bark pieces so that they look like wings.
- Take another pinecone and cut off some scales.
- Glue the pinecone scales onto the previously cut bark pieces. The scales will serve as feathers for the wings.
- Glue two small twigs above the eyes to make eyebrows.
- Now, take one more scale and glue it on to make the owl’s beak.
- Finally, take a longer twig and glue it on the bottom to make a tree limb for the owl to sit on.
Graduation Cap Instructions:
- To create the graduation cap, flatten out some of the Sculpey Clay.
- Determine the size that your cap needs to be. I have used a round clay cutter which was the perfect size for my cap.
- Cut one round piece and one square piece of clay to make the top of the cap.
- Cut a clay strip that is approximately .75″ wide by 4″ long.
- Next, wrap the strip around the round piece and press the pieces together to form one solid cap.
- Now, attach the cap to the square.
- Take a small piece of clay and roll it in your palms to form a tassel ball.
- Take a few more small pieces and roll them out to make the tassels.
- Attach the completed tassel to the top of the cap.
- To dry the clay, place the cap on a baking pan and cook at 275 degrees for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. According to the Sculpey instructions, a .5″ thick piece of clay should cure for 30 minutes.
- After your cap has cooled, paint with your desired acrylic paint colors.
- Finally, after the paint dries, glue the cap onto your owl.
This wise pinecone graduation owl with the cap will make a really cute party favor gift for your favorite graduates. For more seasonal party favor ideas see my Seasonal Blog page.
For a step-by-step tutorial, click on the video link below.
Also, click on the comment section near the bottom of the screen. I would love to hear about how your party favors turned out.
God bless you and your upcoming event.